Man ran over top of Bentley and caused over £5k damage

By Adrian Darbyshire in Crime

A 26-year-old Douglas man caused £5,239-worth of damage when he ran over the top of a Bentley Continental, a magistrates’ court has heard.

Thomas Edward Cosgrove, of Watterson Lane, pleaded guilty to causing property damage and will be sentenced on March 16.

Prosecutor Hazel Carroon told the court how, on December 26 at 10.18pm, a witness reported seeing Cosgrove run over the top of the Bentley while it was parked outside ’Just Pizza and Pasta’ on Wellington Street in Douglas.

The owner was located and the car was said to have a dent in the bonnet.

Cosgrove was identified through Douglas Corporation CCTV footage posted on social media.

He was arrested and his footwear was seized to compare it with prints on the car, which were found to match.

Cosgrove told police he knew nothing about the incident and said that he had been drinking wine and vodka during the evening.

He was shown the CCTV footage and admitted it was him.

The court heard that Cosgrove had some previous matters on his record.

Defending him in court advocate Steve Wood said that his client had recently lost his job and was now unemployed.

Mr Wood asked that a probation report be prepared before sentencing and this was agreed.