DCSIMG

£45,000 spent on renovating Ramsey bowls club pavilion

Ramsey MHK Allan Bell formally opens the pavillion, with John Breen, Nigel Malpass, Michael Skelly and Ray Parry

Ramsey MHK Allan Bell formally opens the pavillion, with John Breen, Nigel Malpass, Michael Skelly and Ray Parry

  • by Alan Vincent
 

North Ramsey Bowling Club has unveiled a renovated pavilion at Mooragh Park, costing around £45,000, during a formal opening by Chief Minister Allan Bell.

A spokesman for the club thanked a number of businesses and the town commissioners and said: ‘The pavilion has been renovated entirely through the efforts of the bowling club membership.

‘Between them they have managed to put together a package of donations of materials and manpower, and put their own time in to produce a new bowling pavilion to replace the former shelter.

‘The bowling green and new pavilion within the setting of the Mooragh Park will be the envy of the island’s other clubs.

‘Bowling is seeing a resurgence and the North Ramsey Club, which hosts a number of the island’s best players, is attracting new members and encouraging young players to boost its numbers.

‘It’s an all-year and very social sport and one of the many sporting opportunities available in Ramsey.

‘The bowling green is the biggest on the island and many would say the best.’

The bowling green has been in existence since the park was opened in 1887.

Photographs dating to 1890s show the bowling hut and green in place then, so crown green bowling has featured since the park’s earliest days and changed little prior to the refurbishment, which is the first major development.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page