Sulby Methodist churchgoers will celebrate the current building’s centenary on Sunday, April 13, with a Centenary Service at 10.30am.
Other events arranged to celebrate the landmark include a concert with Gareth Moore on Sunday, April 6 at 3pm, and a Gala concert on Saturday, April 12 at 4pm.
This is the third church to be built on the site which was originally purchased for £1.26 in 1794.
The first church was built on the site in 1794, with it then being rebuilt in 1844 with the congregation doing most of the work and enlarging it to accommodate 200 people.
By 1910 the building was too small for all those who wished to worship there, so Mr Jos E Teare of Athol Street, Douglas, was appointed as architect to design a new chapel to seat 265 and in 1912 a contract was entered into with James Callow of Ramsey to build the chapel at a cost of £1,827.
The architect obtained mallets at a cost of five shillings each from Liverpool for the laying of the foundation stone, with records showing that 60 stones were laid.
Tea was arranged afterwards in Sulby Hall at a cost of six pence per person and the press described the opening ceremony and celebrations as being on a scale never before seen in Sulby.
The church organ, which is still in use today, predates the original 18th century chapel and is thought to be the oldest organ in the Isle of Man, having been built in 1750. The church is still at the forefront of festivities in the island and holds a Bikers’ Service every Mad Sunday.