DCSIMG

Douglas kitchen fire

Isle of Man Fire and Rescue Service

Isle of Man Fire and Rescue Service

The Isle of Man Fire Service has reported that fire crews attended a kitchen fire at Castleward Green in Douglas at 7.01am this morning.

Crews were faced with a smoke logged property and two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus and using a thermal image camera entered the building carrying a hose reel and a CO2 extinguisher.

They established that a plastic bag had been left on an unattended hob.

Power to the appliance was isolated and due to smoke logging, a positive pressure fan was put to use.

Crews remained in attendance for approximately 30 minutes to ensure that the property had been well ventilated.

The Fire Service issued the following statement: ‘When cooking in the home it is very easy to get distracted, never leave cookers and/or hobs of any description unattended. ‘Working smoke detectors when fitted will always give you an early warning of a problem save lives and protect your property.

‘It is important to ensure that all internal doors within a property are kept shut in particular at night or when a property is unoccupied to prevent the passage of smoke.’

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page

 

X scottish independence image

Keep up-to-date with all the latest Referendum news