A Kirk Michael man who is recovering after bowel cancer has urged others to take the screening test.
People are sent the bowel cancer screening kit when they reach their 60th birthday but 40 per cent of people have not taken the test.
Kevin Quinn, 61, discovered that he had cancer after taking the test in January 2013 and has undergone treatment at Clatterbridge Hospital, which ended last Wednesday.
He said: ‘I had no symptoms whatsoever, if I hadn’t taken the test it might’ve been too late. I had two tumours and one had already grown through the wall of the colon, but I felt fine, it’s no wonder they call it the silent cancer.
‘I would urge people to take the test, it’s very simple to do, it’s possible I might not be here now if I hadn’t taken it.
‘The doctors were brilliant, really lovely, it takes six weeks for the chemo to get out of your system so I’m still going for scans and MRIs at the moment to get the all clear, but I’m being very positive.’
Heather Norman, from Bowel Cancer Isle of Man, said: ‘We have had 15 people diagnosed and treated since the screening was started in 2011.
‘That’s with only 60 per cent of the screening kits being returned too. So there are 40 per cent of people out there who didn’t return them, but all you have to do is ring the helpline for another kit.
‘Early diagnosis is the crucial thing and often the difference between surviving and not.’
Call the Bowel Cancer Helpline for advice or to request a free testing kit on 0800 707 6060.