DCSIMG

Asbestos warning after arson attack

Fire Service.Generic Fire engine and Fire service officers for Scarborough.Picture Richard Ponter 132217c

Fire Service.Generic Fire engine and Fire service officers for Scarborough.Picture Richard Ponter 132217c

Arsonists who set fire to a building in the south of the island last night might have exposed themselves to asbestos.

Around 7pm someone torched a derelict building on the Malew football ground in Clagh Vane, Ballasalla.

The building was surrounded by Heras fencing and clearly displayed warning signs for asbestos.

A police spokesman said: ‘Whoever set fire to the building may have been exposed to airborne asbestos fibres and as such should seek medical attention.

‘Police would like to advise members of the public to stay away from such buildings which pose a risk to their health.’

If anyone has information about who was responsible for the arson they can contact police headquarters on 631212 or Castletown police station on 822222.

The health risks of exposure to asbestos are explained here.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page