Blaze breaks out in village promenade flat

Emergency services attend flat fire on Port St Mary Promenade

Emergency services attend flat fire on Port St Mary Promenade

Emergency services were called out to deal with a fire in a flat in Port St Mary yesterday evening (Monday).

At 6pm three pumps two from Port Erin Station, one from Castletown and an aerial appliance from Douglas were dispatched to a property containing flats on the Promenade.

The top flat was heavily smoke logged, and fire crews wearing breathing apparatus located the cause of the smoke to be in the kitchen of the top flat.

Further investigation identified a faulty flue in a hidden void of the roof space.

Firefighters had to cut away kitchen units to access and deal with the problem.

Earlier, the emergency services joint control room received a call about a strong smell of gas at the rear of the Grandstand. A fire enginer from Douglas was mobilised. The smell of gas was believed to have come from a gas boiler in one of the outbuildings. The gas supply was quickly isolated. Officials from Manx Gas carried out safety checks.

Back to the top of the page