DCSIMG

Blind pensioner, 74, dies after accident

Community News

Community News

A registered blind pensioner died after a tragic accident at her home in the run-up to Mothering Sunday.

The 74-year-old, named locally as Margaret McArd, sustained life-threatening injuries after apparently trying to light a cigarette at her home in Saddlestone last Friday lunchtime.

She died in Noble’s Hospital just before midnight the same day.

Police and fire services are still investigating the incident but have concluded there are no suspicious circumstances.

It is now in the hands of the coroner.

Detective Sergeant Darren Richards said: ‘It looks like this was a very sad and tragic accident just before Mother’s Day. The family are very upset and distressed.’

He said the exact circumstances of the death have yet to be determined but confirmed the incident took place within the property and appeared to involve a match or a lighter.

Det Sgt Richards confirmed the woman sustained serious injuries at the scene and died later in Noble’s Hospital.

A post-mortem examination has been carried out into the cause of the death.

Emergency services were called at about 12.20pm on Friday.

The incident wasn’t initially reported to the police or the fire service, but to the ambulance service. Mrs McArd had telephoned a friend who had come to her aid, and who then rang for an ambulance.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page