A DOUGLAS man caught with more than 1,100 indecent images of children has escaped going to prison.
Karl Anthony Inglis was just 19 when the sickening collection was discovered during a police raid at his home in Railway Terrace last year.
He told officers he had printed some of the images up to four years previously, when he was in his mid-teens.
Inglis, now 20, pleaded guilty to nine counts of possessing indecent printed or moving images of children before a Court of General Gaol Delivery on Monday.
Despite hearing Inglis had applied for jobs in nurseries and posed a 'significant risk to children in the long term', Deemster Doyle gave him a 12-month jail term suspended for two years.
Inglis was placed on the sex offenders register for five years, ordered to notify the authorities of any travel plans during that period and banned from taking work with unsupervised access to children.
He will be monitored by probation officers for two years and put through an internet offenders programme.
Deemster Doyle said the images 'portrayed depravity and obscenity', but added there was evidence sex offender treatment programmes 'can be effective in preventing any further offending'.
Rachael Braidwood, prosecuting, said police carried out an early morning raid at Inglis's home on October 2.
They were acting on information he had paid to access a child abuse website on July 7 using an online account.
A computer was seized containing 181 videos of child abuse, including four at level five, the classification for the most serious and offensive type of images.
Officers discovered 923 printed pictures in a safe, including 405 at level four and 14 at level five.
They also found a USB memory stick containing 'very many indecent images of children', Ms Braidwood told the court.
These images, sorted into folders called 'boys' and 'girls', were 'interspersed with family holiday photos', she added.
Inglis initially told police the videos on his computer he had seen by mistake, by clicking on hyperlinks in spam emails which he had saved so he could delete them all in one go.
He said he had printed the pictures three or four years before and left them in his safe, explaining he did not look at them any more but admitting he knew they were there.
He also said he had loaned the empty USB stick in July to a friend who had returned it a week before the raid, suggesting the friend had put the offensive images on the stick.
Inglis confessed to the crimes after the online transaction was linked to his personal email address and his friend showed he was off-Island at the time he was supposed to have borrowed the stick.
Advocate Darren Taubitz reminded the court there was 'nothing to suggest' Inglis had taken any images himself, distributed them or 'commercially benefited' from them.
Mr Taubitz said: 'My client denies having any sexual attraction to children. He is ashamed and quite rightly disgusted with himself.
'He is an intelligent young man who has made dreadful mistakes and will have to face the stigma of being on the sex offenders register and the publicity that will attract.'
Mr Doyle told Inglis: 'Do not attempt to minimise your offending behaviour. You must accept what you have done and take steps to deal with it.'
Following the case a police spokesman said it 'would not be appropriate' for the force to comment.
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Isle of Man
Tuesday 21 May 2013
Temperature: 8 C to 13 C
Wind Speed: 24 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 6 C to 12 C
Wind Speed: 23 mph
Wind direction: North west