Electrical fault in boiler starts fire

News from the fire service

News from the fire service

0
Have your say

Firefighters were called to a blaze that was started by an electrical fault yesterday (Saturday) morning.

The kitchen in a property in Ridgeway Road, Onchan, was alight.

Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the building carrying a hosereel and a CO2 extinguisher. The fire was isolated to a gas boiler and they extinguished the flames using the CO2 extinguisher.

Due to smoke logging throughout the house a positive pressure fan was then put in use to clear all the products of combustion from the premise.

The cause of the fire was a fault on the electrical system of the boiler with all wiring and circuit board being completely destroyed by fire.

An engineer from Manx Gas was asked to attend the incident to ensure that the boiler was left in a safe condition.

Leading firefighter Kirby who was the officer in charge of the first appliance said: ‘The occupier did the right thing by evacuating the property and calling the fire service out.’

Crews remained in attendance for about 40 minutes to ensure that the property had been well ventilated.

Back to the top of the page