More information has come to light following an investigation into a fire which damaged a popular Douglas nightspot last night.
Diners and football fans at Jaks, on Loch Promenade, were evacuated from the premises.
More than 20 firefighters, the police and electricity workers were sent to the scene last night.
A small electrical fire broke out in the porch area of the Granville Street entrance to the bar.
Darren Walker, manager at Jaks, said: ‘It has caused some fire and smoke damage to the electrical box and restaurant stairwell area; the upstairs Steak House and the downstairs bar area are unaffected.
‘Due to this, Jaks will remain closed today, and hopes to re-open at some point over the weekend once remedial work has taken place.
‘On the advice of the emergency services, residents who live in the flats above the Jaks building were put up in local hotel accommodation last night. Arrangements are being made to accommodate them over the next couple of days.
‘We would like to take this opportunity to thank the island’s emergency services for their prompt reaction to the fire, and their support both during and immediately after the incident.
‘A “thank you” is also owed to our clients who were enjoying their evening with us last night, and who remained calm throughout the incident.
‘In addition, I would like to thank our fantastic team of staff working last night who put their emergency training into practice and calmly ensured that the building was quickly and safely evacuated.’
He added that the Jaks staff had been ‘overwhelmed’ by the messages of support.
‘The fire is devastating only 11 months since we opened our award-winning steak house, which marked a half a million pound investment in Jaks, and so close to the busy Easter Bank Holiday weekend,’ he added.
‘However, this was confined to the restaurant stairwell area and we will be carrying out remedial work as soon as possible so that we can re-open as soon as possible.
‘Jaks has been a favourite on the Manx pub and restaurant scene for the last 24 years, and this certainly isn’t going to change that - our doors will be open again very soon.’