Firefighters were last night called to a flat after an unattended saucepan caught light.
A neighbour of the property on Stephenson Way, Farmhill, Douglas, rang 999.
Tt was not known whether anyone was inside the premises so three fire appliances from Douglas and one from Castletown were called.
In addition, a high rise fire fighting appliance from Douglas went.
The fire was put out quickly by a team of two fire fighters wearing breathing apparatus, using a high pressure fire fighting hose and a thermal imaging camera.
One fire appliance and its crew remained there for about 30 minutes ensuring that the property was left safe and fully ventilated from smoke.
A fire service spokesman said: ‘Due to the quick actions of a neighbour in raising alarm the premises only suffered the effects of minor smoke damage and smoke logging.’
The fire service issued the following advice:
Stand by your pan. Take pans off the heat and turn off the hob and/or grill if you have to leave the kitchen while cooking
Keep your cooker and grill pan clean – burnt food and fat causes fires
Chuck out your chip pan – it could save your life
Don’t drink and fry – order a takeaway or eat cold food if drinking alcohol
Maintain electrical kitchen appliances and keep away from water
Do not leave cooking unattended where possible, if you have to leave something in a pan unattended for any reason consider placing a timer on to remind you to check the item that is cooking.
IIf you have to leave something cooking also consider the use of a slow cooker which has built in timers and safety trips.