AN overheated power cable is being blamed for a fire which broke out in the switch room at Pulrose power station this afternoon.
Staff and contractors were evacuated from the building after the alarm sounded at just before 2pm.
Three fire engines from Douglas fire station were called to the scene.
The high voltage power supply was switched off before firefighters could enter the building with breathing apparatus and C02 extinguishers.
They found the switch room to be heavily smoke logged and located the cause of the fire to be faulty electrical equipment in one of the banks of switch cupboards.
Police closed off the road outside the power station for a time as fire appliances were blocking the road.
Smoke that appeared to have been coming out of the building was in fact steam from routine maintenance operations.
Divisional officer Jeff Looker said the cause of the fire was an overheated cable.
Police say there was no danger to the island’s power supply.
Fire crews were at the scene for about an hour and a half.
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Isle of Man
Saturday 18 May 2013
Temperature: 8 C to 11 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 8 C to 13 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: East