Firefighters deal with chip pan blaze

Firefighters in action last night

Firefighters in action last night

0
Have your say

Firefighters were called to deal with a chip pan fire in Union Mills last night.

Three fire appliances were sent to Close-y-Locker at 8.50pm.

The fire was confined to the kitchen.

Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the premises with a thermal image camera and hose-reel and put out the fire.

A crew remained there for about an hour hour making the premises safe and isolating electrical and gas supplies until engineers could attended to check the premises services prior to them being re-instated.

Chip pan fires cause 20 per cent of accidental domestic fires.

A fire sservice spokesman said: ‘If you do choose to deep fat fry your chips, make sure you do it safely.

‘The safest way to deep fry is to use a thermostat-controlled electric deep fat fryer. Its thermostat stops it from ever overheating.’

He added that chip pans should never be overfilled. They should be no more than one-third filled.

Back to the top of the page