Inquest hears of six-month waiting list for counselling

Community News

Community News

An Andreas man took his own life after becoming depressed, an inquest has ruled.

Coroner John Needham was told Robert Stannus Geohegan, who was 48, was not in regular employment and was desperate to find work because it gave him a sense of purpose.

His widow Charlotte Geohegan told the court: ‘He was always a very kind and honest person and came across as being a happy person, but he did drink a lot.

‘He found work quite stressful, often working through the night but that suited his personality.’

But she said problems had developed with work and he had been bought out of the company he had worked for in Wales.

In 2004 she said Mr Geohegan made a suicide attempt. Though he had been seen by the doctor after this, he was not admitted to hospital.

Mrs Geohegan said her husband was also troubled by the suicide of his own mother who took her own life while suffering post natal depression when he was eight months old.

In 2010 she said he suffered some kind of breakdown and was signed off work and put on medicaton but was not admitted to hospital.

In April this year, she said she had to go to the UK and when she returned Mr Geohegan’s condition seemed to have deteriorated, so she sent him to see the doctor.

‘When he came back, Rob told me the doctor had stopped his medication but a counselling session had been organised,’ she said.

On April 26, she attended a function at their children’s school and returned around 8.30pm to find her husband had taken his own life.

Mr Geohegan’s GP Alexander Allinson said he was not advised to stop taking medication.

He told the court it was easy for a patient to fall off the waiting list for counselling if they failed to fill in the forms – perhaps because they were too depressed – or failed to attend an appointment, as Mr Geohegan did while away looking for work in the UK.

Recording a suicide verdict, Mr Needham noted the waiting list of around six months for counselling was ‘a relatively long time’.

He also noted Mr Geohegan’s condtion was rated as ‘severe’ with a risk of self-harm in January, but this had improved slightly by April.

However, he said: ‘One of the symptoms of his depression was to act impulsively.

‘It seems he fell into a low state.

He had been drinking and was almost double the drink drive limit.’

He added a note left by Mr Geohegan indicated he was aware of what he was doing.




Back to the top of the page