Life behind bars for murder of Tina Casey

Tina Casey

Tina Casey

No one has won in this case, both sides of the family have lost a mother.

That was the reaction by the family of island woman Tina Casey, after her mother-in-law Heath Emmonds was convicted of her murder after a trial.

On Friday, Newcastle Crown Court ruled that the 58-year-old must serve at least 20 years before she has any chance of release.

Emmonds, of Seaton Delaval, Northumberland, had admitted killing Ms Casey, 42, at her home in Holywell near Whitley Bell in February.

But she had denied murder on the grounds of loss of control and diminished responsibility.

After the case, the victim’s family said in a statement: ‘We’re really going to continue to miss Tina, especially her children and the rest of the family, both now and in the future.

‘No one has won in this case, both sides of the family have lost a mother, one has died and another is in jail, through tragic circumstances.

‘Both sides in this case have shown great dignity and have conducted themselves impeccably throughout this trial.

‘We’d like to thank the police for their support and Victim Support who have both helped the family through this very difficult time.

‘We hope everyone now can start to get on with their lives and put this behind us.’

Detective Superintendant Steve Wade, of Northumbria Police, said the crime had a ‘devastating effect’ on Ms Casey’s family.

‘I’d like to thank them for their support and courage throughout this investigation,’ he said.

‘This was a horrific attack, which resulted in the death of a mother.

‘We welcome the decision of the jury and hope that it brings some closure for the family to know Heather Emmonds will spend a substantial period behind bars.’

The court heard Ms Casey, nee Halsall, was planning to return to the island so Emmonds and would have lost touch with her grandson.

Emmonds was found collapsed in her car after crashing it at a roundabout in Shiremoor, North Tyneside, having taken an overdose of sleeping tablets.

Inside the car, police officers found handwritten notes about the crime.

Giving evidence in her defence she claimed Ms Casey called her a bad grandmother’ for not lending her money.

‘I just thought I have had enough of this, I had lent her money time after time,’ she recalled.

She said she didn’t remember picking up the knife, before going over to the settee and stabbing her in the neck and stomach.

Ms Casey’s mother married a Manxman and the family moved to the island when he came out of the Army.

She was the youngest of five children and was born in RAF Wegberg Military Hospital in Germany, and not as we reported in the Examiner last week.

The mum of five moved from the island to Tyneside 16 years ago.


Back to the top of the page