Major Douglas roadwork scheme starts on Monday

ROAD SCHEME: Department of Infrastructure director of highways Richard Pearson stands next to the area of New Castletown Road, Douglas, which will see major works carried out on it for nine weeks from June 17. He said one of the benefits would be a smooth road surface which would need patching less often. PHOTO: John Maddrell JM120605 (80).

ROAD SCHEME: Department of Infrastructure director of highways Richard Pearson stands next to the area of New Castletown Road, Douglas, which will see major works carried out on it for nine weeks from June 17. He said one of the benefits would be a smooth road surface which would need patching less often. PHOTO: John Maddrell JM120605 (80).

22
Have your say

MAJOR roadworks start on the main route to the south from Douglas on Monday.

The initial works will involve Haven Homes, the developers at Pulrose Farm, laying a new foul sewer connection to their site on the New Castletown Road.

The road, between Cooil Road and Annacur Lane, will be closed for five days from 9.15am on Monday to enable a three-metre deep trench to be excavated.

The diversion route will be via Kewaigue and South Quay or along Saddle Road and Vicarage Road.

The following Monday (June 17), the Department of Infrastructure will start a major maintenance scheme – costing about £370,000 – on New Castletown Road, between Saddle Road and Quarter Bridge, which was last resurfaced 40 years ago.

The nine week-scheme will involve upgrading the drainage systems which have collapsed, reconstructing the footways, installing a new controlled pedestrian crossing, and resurfacing and strengthening the carriageway.

Explaining why the works were necessary, director of highways Richard Pearson said: ‘The road is life expired, it’s worn out. It’s quite uneven and it’s been extensively patched.

‘Obviously it’s a major road, it’s part of the primary route network. We have done work on the adjacent areas previously so it’s a question of linking up previous refurbishment projects.’

Part of the works will see a change in the approach to Quarter Bridge from the south.

At present, motorists heading towards Onchan approach the roundabout in the left lane, along with motorists turning left towards Peel. The change will see motorists heading towards Onchan approach in the right lane with Douglas-bound traffic.

Mr Pearson said: ‘At the moment there are about 300 damage-only accidents per year at Quarterbridge because people get a bit confused. We are hoping this simplification of priorities will reduce the number of damage-only accidents.’

He said he believed the change would ‘be OK from a flow point of view’ and would be monitored.

Mr Pearson described the zebra crossing below the junction with Saddle Road as ‘slightly hazardous’. It will be replaced with a puffin crossing to make it safer.

During the works, there will be a one-way system on the road for traffic heading south, out of Douglas, to pass through.

Traffic heading into Douglas from the south should use either Cooil Road/Vicarage Road or Kewaigue and South Quay to avoid delays at Groves Road traffic signals.

There will be weekend closures to install ducting across side roads. Access to businesses will be maintained, with short duration closures for kerbing and resurfacing works to be advised.

The right turn from New Castletown Road on to Saddle Road will not be permitted.

The DoI thanked residents for their patience and co-operation. For more details call 850000.

Back to the top of the page