SOME 430 people including about 27 cancer survivors took part in the island’s second Relay for Life – to honour cancer survivors and celebrate life.
The 24-hour relay started at midday on Saturday and saw at least one member of each of the 29 teams walking on the NSC track at all times.
So far, about £21,000 has been raised for Cancer Research UK – where the money will go to the Research and Oncology Centre in Liverpool.
The event’s chairman, Gaynor Haxby, said: ‘It is similar to the amount we had raised by this time last year. We went on to raise £44,000 so hopefully we will get somewhere close to that in the next few weeks.’
Each team set up camp in the middle of the track – with some organising team games and offering massages and face painting.
Children were kept entertained with inflatable play equipment. And those on the track enjoyed music provided by 3fm as well as taking part in themed laps, one of which saw Dot Tilbury leading a giant conga.
Gaynor said: ‘It went really well and there was a really nice atmosphere. The weather was pretty kind to us until the end when it poured for the closing ceremony.’
She added: ‘Thank you from us to everyone who took part and for all those who supported, from businesses and individuals that enabled us to put it on at no cost so the money raised will go straight to the charity.’
• Douglas West MHK Geoff Corkish was accused of asking organisers of the Relay for Life by contributors to a website. But he told the Courier he went to support the event at 9.45pm on Saturday – and while there asked organisers to ‘turn down the music a bit’ after complaints from the Ballabrooie area.
‘There was no slight intended. I am chairman of the Isle of Man Anti-Cancer Association and supporter of Relay for Life. I lost my own mother to cancer two years ago.’