Douglas Job Centre was closed and buildings evacuated this afternoon after a flat roof behind a town centre pub caught fire.
Fire crews were called out at 3.40pm to deal with reports of smoke coming from behind the Prospect Hotel.
The fire involved a flat roof where building repairs are being carried out.
Two fire appliances from Douglas attended and crews soon extinguished the flames.
Chief fire officer Kevin Groom said: ‘The fire was at the rear of the Prospect Hotel and involved a flat roof. Workers were doing some work on flat roof. There was some smoke ingress into the Prospect Hotel and adjacent offices.’
Next door Nivison House on Hill Street, home to Job Centre, Job Club, Careers Service, Work Permits team and Training Division, has been closed to the public for the rest of the day. Staff were also evacuated.
The Department of Economic Development said it would issue further update if there were any impact on the opening of Nivison House on Friday.
Firefighters left the scene at about 4.45pm.