DCSIMG

Two kitchen fires in Douglas on Friday night

Isle of Man Fire Service

Isle of Man Fire Service

Fire crews in Douglas were called out to two kitchen fires in quick succession last night (Friday).

Three crews firstly attended a smoke-filled flat in Pulrose at 8.45pm.

A forced entry had to be made and two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus and using a thermal image camera entered the building carrying a hose reel.

The occupier of the flat was guided outside to a place of safety, and hadn’t sustained any injury.

The fire was isolated to a grill pan which had been left unattended in the kitchen. Due to smoke logging throughout the property a positive pressure fan was used.

Sub Officer Paul Hunt said: ‘A neighbour had acted swiftly upon hearing the smoke alarms sounding from within the property, reporting the incident via 999 and requesting the help of the fire service.’

The second call-out came at 9.15pm following a report of a fire at a property containing flats on Queen’s Promenade.

Crews were faced with a smoke-logged flat on the second floor of the property - the occupants were already safely evacuated outside.

The fire was isolated to a pan on the hob with damage being sustained to the kitchen area. A positive pressure fan was put to use clearing smoke from the flat.

Sub Officer David Cowley said: ‘The occupier of the flat had acted swiftly in attempting to extinguish the fire and removing the pan outside.’

For advice and guidance regarding fire safety for owners and occupiers of flats please contact the Isle of Man Fire and Rescue flats team on 647328.

It is important to ensure that all internal doors within a property are kept shut in particular at night or when a property is unoccupied to prevent the passage of smoke. Please ensure that you have working smoke alarms and that they are regularly tested.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page