DCSIMG

Update on fire at Port Jack Spar shop

A firefighter removes fire damaged material from the Port Jack Spar shop yesterday

A firefighter removes fire damaged material from the Port Jack Spar shop yesterday

The Isle of Man Post Office has issued an update on services following yesterday’s fire at Port Jack.

Commercial director Lisa Duckworth said: ‘On Monday afternoon the Isle of Man Fire and Rescue Service were called to Spar Stores in Port Jack, Onchan after fire broke out on the premises following an electrical fault.

‘Our Royal Avenue Post Office is located within this building and as a result of the incident will now be closed until further notice while the situation is being assessed.

‘We apologise for the disruption to our services and customers are advised to use the following alternative branches in the meantime: Regent Street, Onchan, Laxey, Willaston or Governors Hill which offer a full range of our services.’

Fire crews were called to the incident at shortly before 4pm yesterday (Monday), when one pump was sent to the scene to deal with a fault on an electrical intake board.

A statement from the fire service said: ‘The first crew arrived and found the property heavily smoke logged with a fire in a store room at the end of the property.

‘With a rapidly developing fire that involved electricity the incident commander decided to make up and request a second appliance and duty officer.

‘Fire spread was controlled until staff from Manx Utilities could confirm that power had been isolated to the building which also affected power supplies to other properties in the local area.

‘The fire was contained to the store room and once extinguished a positive pressure ventilation fan was used to assist with ventilation of the adjoining premises to remove the products of combustion.

‘Firefighters using breathing apparatus and thermal image cameras were tasked to cut away ceilings and walls that had been affected by the fire.

‘Salvage work was carried out to mitigate damage caused by firefighting actions. Power to the Spar property was been isolated and made safe by personnel from Manx Utilities.’

The crews remained at the site until around 7.30pm removing fire debris, checking for hot spots and making the premises safe.

The fire is the second dramatic incident to happen in the same area in a matter of months.

In March, the wooden awning of the parade of shops was damaged in a multiple collision. Fortunately no one was injured.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page