Visitors flock for a skeet at Castle Mona Hotel

HIDDEN HISTORY: Visitors gather for the Castle Mona tour with historian Frank Cowin who is on the left of the picture. PHOTO:  John Maddrell JM121006 (12).

HIDDEN HISTORY: Visitors gather for the Castle Mona tour with historian Frank Cowin who is on the left of the picture. PHOTO: John Maddrell JM121006 (12).

1
Have your say

A TOUR of the former Castle Mona Hotel estate led by local historian Frank Cowin was one of the attractions on offer as part of the recent heritage open days.

Heritage open days took place at the weekend and are also on this weekend run by Manx National Heritage to give people a chance to visit buildings they would not normally see.

Many buildings around the island have been opened up to members of the public as a one-off such as the former drill hall in Peel Road in Douglas as well as the old Castle Mona Hotel estate, which visitors were able to tour after meeting up at the arcade at the front.

The building was originally designed by George Steuart as a home for the fourth Duke of Athol and was completed in 1804.

From 1831 the building was an hotel until its closure five or six years ago.

Among the other open day attractions on offer are Conserving Castle Rushen – a walking tour concentrating on the construction and development of the Castle including an opportunity to gain access to Derbyhouse, the Courthouse, the Round Tower and the Curtain Wall.

Back to the top of the page