Woman who tried to put out fire suffers as she inhales smoke

News from the fire service

News from the fire service

Have your say

A house fire was started when a householder accidentally left an electric plastic kettle on an electric hob, which had been left on.

At about 12.25pm on Tuesday crews from Ramsey fire station were called to a report of a kitchen fire at an address in Claughbane Drive in the town.

The fire damaged the cooker, left the kitchen heavily smoke-logged and destroyed the kettle.

Station officer Cleator said smoke alarms had alerted the occupier of the house to the fire.

He added: ‘The occupier attempted to tackle the fire prior to the arrival of the fire service and unfortunately had inhaled an amount of smoke.

‘She was treated on scene by firefighting personnel using an oxygen therapy unit and was then taken to hospital by ambulance for a precautionary check-up.

‘The fire service would like to emphasise that the best policy when faced with a fire in the home is to get out, stay out and call 999.

‘Don’t try to tackle the fire yourself, and never go back into a burning building.’

Back to the top of the page