Bruce Anstey wins second closest race in TT’s history

Bruce Anstey at Quarter Bridge

Bruce Anstey at Quarter Bridge

Have your say

Manx Kiwi beats Cameron Donald to Supersport One honours by just 0.77 of a second

MANX Kiwi Bruce Anstey claimed his ninth TT crown by just 0.77 of a second in a remarkable four-lap Monster Energy Supersport Race One earlier this afternoon.

The Padgetts Honda man pipped fellow Antipodean Cameron Donald to the honours after a storming last lap that saw him overhaul the Australian and Gary Johnson at the top of the leaderboard. Johnson was cruelly denied a podium place after running out of fuel, Donald’s Wilson Craig Racing team-mate William Dunlop claiming third and his first Mountain Course podium 20 seconds down on Cameron.

See the press conference on youtube here:

The two-and-a-quarter-hour delay caused by a road traffic collision at Greeba seemingly did little to put the riders out of their stride as a cracking race developed from the off.

Michael Dunlop was quickest out of the traps and had built up a 10-second lead at the end of the first lap as a battle royal raged behind him involving his brother, Donald, Johnson and eventual victor Anstey.

Guy Martin, however, would not get further than the Grandstand at the end of lap one, problems with his Tyco Suzuki forcing him to retire.

Michael Dunlop was soon to join Martin on the retirements list as he stopped at Ballig Bridge, Johnson taking advantage to move to the the head of the leaderboard on lap three.

Cue Anstey’s charge. The former glazer from Wellington began to eat into Johnson’s lead and by the end of lap three the gap was just two seconds. Johnson remained ahead as the leaders headed out to Glen Helen and up the west coast, holding a second lead by the time they reached the Manx Radio commentary point at Ramsey.

Anstey, however, wasn’t to be denied and he mounted an impressive charge over the final blast over the Mountain overhauling his rival by the time they had reached the Bungalow. Donald moved up to second as Johnson’s bike began to struggle.

Donald did his best to mount a final late,late challenge for the trophy but he couldn’t quite reel in Anstey finishing less than a second behind his close friend in what was the TT’s second closest finish of all time.

See the press conference on youtube here:

With Conor Cummins again electing not to ride because of his hand injury, Dan Kneen led the Manx charge. He looked on course for a top-six finish until he suffered an off near the end of lap three in which he suffered minor back injuries.

Fellow island residents Roger Maher finished 23, Dave Moffitt 25th, Billy Smith 34th, Dave Madsen-Mygdal 35th and Gary Carswell 40th.

Back to the top of the page