Onchan Library is hosting a community display featuring local clubs, societies and organisations to celebrate its 70th anniversary this year.
The library opened during the war.
It is inviting everyone to call in and find out more about what’s happening in Onchan, try something new, or take a trip down memory lane via old photographs.
Residents and organisations have lent photographs and both Onchan School and the Brownies have created artwork.
Some local history from Onchan Crown Green Bowling Club shows that there were once five bowling greens in Onchan alone.
The display has generated requests for information about some of the exhibits, and visitors are asked to help. Can anyone name the ladies in a photo of Mike Hailwood racing through Onchan Village; give the location of some old cottages, or provide details about the demolition of a row of Onchan shops in the 70s?
Abbeylands Methodist Chapel also has a mystery to solve - why is a stone above the chapel door engraved ‘Abbeyland Wesleyan Chapel 1813’ when the chapel wasn’t built until 1845?
The display is on until February 11, with Onchan activity leaflets available to take away. Details are on the library web site www.library.onchan.org.im
More information about what’s happening in Onchan, and a collection of old photographs can also be viewed online at www.onchan.org.im