A planning application for the proposed new TT scoreboard will be submitted today (Friday).
The project hit a big stumbling block in the autumn when the Treasury wouldn’t stump up the money to pay for it.
It said the business case wasn’t strong enough.
So now the money - the amount is so far undisclosed - is coming from the existing Department for Enterprise budget.
The planning application includes some specifications around the proposed design requirement for the new scoreboard. Once the planning application has been approved, the department will be inviting expressions of interest to build the structure.
The previous scoreboard was taken down in November 2020 following a detailed survey, which said it was not structurally sound and should be dismantled.
Manx National Heritage now has large parts of the old scoreboard which will feature in the new TT Gallery due to be created in the Manx Museum in 2023.
It is intended that work on the new scoreboard will start after the 2022 Manx Grand Prix.
This year the department plans to install video screens on Glencrutchery Road for the 2022 TT which will stream the planned new live television broadcast for fans in the TT Grandstand so that teams and fans can follow the action.
Rob Callister MHK, political member with responsibility for tourism and motorsport, said: ’Our plan remains to deliver a new fit-for-purpose TT scoreboard for 2023 that reflects the heritage and tradition associated with over a century of TT racing.
’The requirement is now clearly defined following extensive consultation with all relevant parties including the Scout Association and I look forward to seeing the new scoreboard in place for race fans by 2023.’
CommentsTo leave a comment you need to create an account. |