Fire service responds to chimenea explosion

By IoM Today Reporter   |   Reporter   |
Monday 9th May 2022 12:53 pm
[email protected]
Share
Fire service news
(IOM Today )

Subscribe newsletter

Subscribe to our email and get updates right in your inbox.

The fire and rescue service responded to an incident in the early hours of this morning.

Shortly before 5am, three major appliances from Douglas Station arrived at a property on Ballaquayle Road, Douglas, following reports of an explosion and fire.

When the first crew arrived they quickly discovered the cause to be a chimenea at the rear of the property and the reported explosion to be due to aerosol containers found within.

No damage was caused to the nearby property.

A chimenea is a freestanding front-loading fireplace or oven with a bulbous body and usually a vertical smoke vent or chimney.

They are becoming more popular and they are generally safe.

As a result of the incident, the fire service has issued some general safety tips:

  • Never use flammable liquids to start a fire.
  • Use small kindling to start and slowly add larger wood.
  • Only burn wood or the reccommended fuel, not household waste.
  • Build your fire from scratch so you know what it contains.
  • Keep fires small and manageable.
  • Ensure the chimenea is stable and positioned well away from combustible materials.
  • Never leave it unattended.
  • Have a safe set up - place your chimenea away from decking, structures, bushes and trees.
  • Have some water nearby just in case.

More About:

Share

Comments

To leave a comment you need to create an account. |

All comments 0