Charges are to be brought against inmates who damaged property during a protest at Isle of Man Prison.

Thirteen inmates took part in the protest last Tuesday after refusing to leave the exercise yard and return to their cells, Deputy Governor Martin Phillips has confirmed.

The Department of Home Affairs had previously described the incident as a ‘peaceful protest’ involving a ‘small number’ of prisoners.

But it has since been accused of playing down the seriousness of the incident - and the concerns raised by protesters about conditions at the Jurby prison.

Mr Phillips confirmed that while the incident began as ‘passive’, some of those involved went on to damage benches and windows.

The incident began as a protest over the amount of time prisoners were spending locked in their cells.

Negotiators were used to relay information between the prisoners and senior officials.

The protest ended by 10pm when prison staff wearing protective equipment were deployed to the A-wing exercise yard.

No injuries were reported among prisoners or staff.

Mr Phillips said: ‘By their very nature, prisons are challenging environments.

‘From time to time, prisoner dissatisfaction can lead to disruptive behaviours, including what we’ve seen in the recent incident. When this happens, the response is managed in line with established procedures and training.

‘Thirteen prisoners took part in a protest that began as passive, refusing to return to their cells from the exercise yard.

‘As the day progressed some prisoners caused damage to benches and windows.

‘In the evening staff were deployed to resolve the incident, and they wore appropriate protective equipment and followed established procedures to ensure everyone's safety.

‘No prisoners, staff, or anyone else were injured. The damage is being repaired, and any prisoner responsible will be dealt with in the same way as in any other case - with charges being brought.’

The Independent Monitoring Board was on site throughout, he said, and a full debrief and report will follow, as with any incident.

Food, water and medication were offered to all prisoners involved throughout, Mr Phillips insisted.

He added: ‘We understand this began about time spent in cells, but as the day went on no clear or cohesive concerns were set out.

‘Staff, including senior staff, continue to engage with those involved daily. Prisoners also have access to official channels for raising issues.

‘Our staffing levels meet the required standards for safety.

‘As in many workplaces, staff are sometimes deployed to cover other duties, including escorting prisoners to external appointments, and this can affect time out of cell on a given day.

‘We always prioritise access to work, healthcare, education, gym and family visits.’

A DHA spokesperson denied media reports elsewhere that five inmates had already been charged in connection with damage caused during the protest.

She insisted no charges had yet been brought, adding: ‘Any prisoner who caused damage to prison property will have charges brought, but that process is still ongoing.’