A man who had to be put in leg restraints after refusing to leave a pub on a work night out has been fined £1,300.

Daniel Thomas Fielden was twice asked to leave the Union in Castletown by staff and then by police.

High Bailiff James Brooks also banned the 35-year-old from entering licensed premises and buying alcohol for six months.

Fielden was at the Union pub in Castletown on December 2, at 10pm.

He pushed a customer and was subsequently told by staff that he wasn’t going to be served, but replied with: ‘Go f*** yourself.’

Bar staff told him several times he wasn’t going to be served, but Fielden was still in the pub 20 minutes later.

He was then involved in a scuffle with another customer, which prompted staff to again tell him to leave the pub but he refused, so police were called.

Fielden fell off a chair, before being escorted out by officers and told to leave the area, which he initially did.

However, at 11.10pm, he arrived back at the pub.

He was again asked to leave by the staff but refused and said: ‘Go f*** yourself.’

Police were called back and described the defendant as slurring his words and unsteady on his feet.

He was subsequently arrested and taken to a police van.

Fielden, who lives at Ballure Holiday Homes in Maughold, then started swearing and lifted up his legs, bracing his feet against the vehicle to stop himself being put inside, telling police: ‘I’m not f*****g getting in there.’

He was put on the ground and leg restraints were used on him.

During an interview later, he handed in a prepared statement saying that he didn’t usually drink and had been going through some mental health issues.

In court, he pleaded guilty to disorderly behaviour on licensed premises and resisting arrest.

Fielden’s last conviction was 11 and a half years ago.

A probation report said that, on the night of his arrest, Fielden had received two pieces of bad news.

He said he had been told he was losing his employment and also something relating to a personal issue.

The defendant told probation that he had not drunk for three or four months before that night, as he rarely went drinking.

He said that he was ‘not in a good place’ and had become highly intoxicated, resulting in little recollection of the incident.

The report said that Fielden intended to write letters of apology to the police and to the pub.

Defence advocate James Peterson said: ‘This was a one-off event which is unlikely to occur again.

‘It occurred when he was in significant distress.

‘He can’t believe he acted in the way he has towards staff in the Union and the police.

‘He rarely drinks alcohol and unfortunately has been on a work night out and had too much.’

Mr Peterson went on to say that his client had co-operated with the police in interview as far as he could, bearing in mind his limited recollection.

High Bailiff Mr Brooks told the defendant: ‘I accept you have been out of trouble for 11 and a half years and pleaded guilty at the first opportunity.

‘But in terms of disorderly behaviour, it was a very prolonged and protracted incident, and you made matters worse by resisting the police officers.’

Fielden was fined £850 for disorderly behaviour and £450 for resisting arrest.

He must also pay £125 prosecution costs and will pay all amounts at a rate of £200 per month.