TT 2019: Peter Hickman wins shortened Superbike race

By Sports desk   |   Sports reporter   |
Monday 3rd June 2019 10:53 am
[email protected]
Peter Hickman was declared Superbike winner after the race was red flagged at the start of lap three (Photo: Dave Kneale) ()

Subscribe newsletter

Subscribe to our email and get updates right in your inbox.

Peter Hickman won a nip-and-tuck Superbike race, that was unfortunately cut short by a red-flag incident at the start of lap three.

The 32-year-old picked up his third TT win on a Superstock/Superbike ’hybrid’ bike by only 1.782 seconds from rival Harrison with Ramsey’s Conor Cummins third a further 7.563 seconds down.

All three were quick to send their thoughts to the riders involved with the incident at Snugborough which ended the race early as they were interviewed on their return to the Grandstand after the result was declared at the end of lap two.

Reflecting on his ride, Hickman added: ’Bike was working well - it’s a Superstock bike with a few Superbike bits on.

’To be honest it took me half a lap to get going, but thankfully, the same as last year, I was fast over the Mountain.’

Harrison admitted he’d had problems with his gear shifter, but hopes they will be resolved for the Senior.

Padgett’s Honda man Cummins added: ’Feels strange not going the full distance, but I’ll take it. The guys have been working hard all week to put this great bike under me.’

The race had already been shortened to four laps from its usual six and delayed 48 hours because of the wet weather and low mist that dogged qualifying week.

Hickman and Harrison belied the numerous disruptions of last week though as they were on the pace almost from the off.

It was the latter man from Bradford that made the early running on his 1,000cc Silicone Engineering Kawasaki opening up a slender 1.150 second lead at the first timing point at Glen Helen.

Hickman slotted into second on the Smiths Racing BMW with James Hillier continuing his good form from the North West 200 in third.

By Ramsey Hairpin on the opening lap Harrison had eeked his advantage out to 1.455 seconds and Manxman Conor Cummins had leapfrogged Hillier up into third on corrected time.

A lap of 132.48mph gave Harrison a slender lead of a second, with Hickman and Cummins next ahead of Hillier, Michael Dunlop and Michael Rutter.

John McGuinness was forced to pull the Norton in at the end of the first lap with a oil pressure problem. He later retired as did Derek McGee.

Back at the front, Harrison began to stretch the legs of the big Kawasaki and was four seconds ahead at Ramsey on the second and, what would turn out to be, the final lap.

Hickman though showed the pace that saw him pip Harrison to the Senior crown last year as he reeled in his rival over the Mountain entering the pit stops at the end of the second lap a smidge under two seconds ahead of his rival.

A ding-dong battle was shaping up at the head of the timing charts when the contest was brought to a premature end because of a red flag incident at Snugborough.

Cummins ended up a comfortable third to complete the same podium as last year’s the 2018 Senior.

Hillier finished fourth, Rutter fifth on the RC 213V Honda replica and Michael Dunlop sixth.

Kiwi TT newcomer Jay Lawrence was 22nd just ahead of local Ryan Kneen in 23rd.

Full report in issue two TT News.