A teenager R plate driver who drove off a cliff at Marine Drive has been fined £650 for careless driving.

Toby Craig had two passengers in his Audi A1 on May 2 when he misjudged a bend and ended up in a ravine by Pigeon Stream.

No-one was injured in the crash.

Magistrates endorsed the 17-year-old’s licence with six penalty points and extended his ’R’ plate period by two years.

Prosecuting advocate Barry Swain told the court that police were called to Marine Drive at 11.15pm.

Craig, who lives at Tromode Woods, Braddan, and his two friends were standing at the scene with his black Audi in the ravine.

He told police he had misjudged the bend and gone over the edge.

Fire services, the coastguard and an ambulance also attended the scene.

Craig was breathalysed but produced a zero reading. The weather was described as good but the area was said to have very little lighting.

When interviewed at police headquarters Craig said he had met up with his friends and been driving around various parts of the island.

He said he was driving at 30mph and slowed for the bend, changing gear, but then hit the kerb and went over the edge.

The court heard that he had passed his test in January 2021.

Defence advocate Deborah Myerscough handed in letters of reference for her client and said that he had been 16 at the time of the crash.

’It is only the passage of time that has him before the adult court,’ said the advocate.

’He was very co-operative with officers. It was a driver error in a place with little lighting.

’He is a young man with a limited amount of driving experience. There were no injuries and there has been no recurrence of offences since this.’

Ms Myerscough went on to say that Craig was starting his second year of college next week studying a course in IT, which involved a work placement once a week.

The advocate asked magistrates to spare him a driving ban as she said this would put him at a disadvantage with work opportunities.

’He has been taking additional driving lessons to make sure he’s a better driver,’ added Ms Myerscough.

Magistrates chair Julian Ashcroft said: ’The fact nobody was injured in this incident is quite amazing.’

Craig was also ordered to pay £50 prosecution costs, which he will pay along with the fine at a rate of £50 per week.