A teenager from Crosby has been jailed for 22 weeks after crashing a car after drinking as he fled from police.

Jason Craig Quayle’s Toyota Corolla ended up on its roof after hitting a tree in Kewaigue when he had driven away from police with three passengers in his car.

Quayle. aged 19, of Reayrt ny Chrink, admitted offences of drink-driving, dangerous driving, two counts of having no insurance, and two counts of having no driving licence.

He was disqualified from driving for two years and must pass an extended driving test at the end of the ban.

Chair of the magistrates Carol Maddrell said while passing sentence: ’Despite your young age you have an appalling record. It’s extremely fortunate no one was seriously injured or worse.’

Prosecutor Michael Jelski told the court Quayle was seen getting into the Corolla by an off-duty police officer on March 31 in the car park of the Crosby pub.He was said to have freerolled the car out of the car park before driving off.

The officer knew Quayle did not hold a driving licence so reported the matter. The car was later seen parked near Marown bowling club.

Quayle had only previously held a provisional licence which had expired in February 2015.

Later, in the early hours of April 1, police on patrol near Douglas harbour bridge saw the Corolla again, driving at speed, but lost sight of it as they tried to follow.

They radioed officers in Head Road, who parked their car across the road to block the Corolla but were forced to move for fear of being crashed into. The Corolla mounted the pavement to swerve around the police car, and the officers then followed with lights and siren on.

They lost sight of it but when they reached Kewaigue the Corolla was on its roof having crashed into a tree.

Witnesses said they saw two men making off from the crashed car and Quayle was found hiding under a lorry.

Quayle initially denied being the driver but one of the passengers told police it was Quayle.

He failed a breath test at police headquarters, producing a reading of 59 - the legal drink-drive limit is 35.

Quayle pleaded guilty to all six offences in court. Defence advocate Ian Kermode said his client had seen the police and panicked, knowing he didn’t have a licence.

’It has been accepted that his speed didn’t exceed 60mph,’ he said.

’No person was injured other than Mr Quayle, who suffered minor injuries.’

He asked for credit to be given for an early guilty plea and the fact that Quayle had been in full-time employment, at a recycling company, for around two years.

Quayle was sentenced to 22 weeks’ custody for dangerous driving and drink-driving, to run concurrently.