Gymns very nearly pulled off a huge shock in the preliminary round of the Hospital Cup on Saturday afternoon.

Tony Sewell’s Tromode outfit pushing Premier League juggernauts St George’s all the way, holding them to a 2-2 draw in normal time before Geordies triumphed 5-3 extra-time to avoid what would have been one of the biggest shocks in the competition’s history.

DHSOB also had to dig deep to avoid an upset as they came from a goal down to beat Division Two side Pulrose United at Blackberry Lane.

Mark O’Neill gave the Springfield Road side the lead in the first half but second half strikes from substitute Dean France and Calum Stewart sealed a 2-1 win for the top flight outfit.

Flying the flag for Division Two in the first round proper will be Foxdale after they secured a dramatic late win over Castletown at Billy Goat Park.

The hosts stunned their Premier League opponents by racing into a three-goal lead, only for the southerners to hit back with three of their own.

Then, just when it looked like the game would go to extra time and possibly penalties, up popped birthday boy Anthony Corkill in the 92nd minute to seal a late winner for Foxdale.

St Mary’s treble hopes remain intact after they came through a potentially tricky tie with Rushen United at a sun-kissed Bowl.

The Saints triumphed 5-2 with Josh Thomas having a hand in most of the hosts’ haul as he starred against his former side.

After a scrappy opening quarter of an hour, Jordan Cooper headed the home side in front when he converted Thomas’s free-kick.

Thomas’s stunning left-foot shot then doubled the Saints lead before Ste Riding reduced the arrears from the penalty spot barely a minute after the restart.

Thomas fired in another stunner from a tight angle after Craig Murphy’s through ball carved open the Rushen defence five minutes into the second half.

Darren Hudgeon nodded in a fourth when he beat Rushen keeper Dean Kearns to Connor Birch’s teasing cross from the left.

Another cracker from distance, this time from Riding, made it 4-2 before St Mary’s wrapped up the win when player-manager Alex Harrison nodded in Thomas’s corner with 20 minutes left to play.

Elsewhere, a Shaun Kelly brave helped Peel overcome a resilient Union Mills 3-1, St John’s recorded a 2-0 win over Laxey, Douglas Royal got the better of Michael United 5-2 at Balleira Road, Onchan edged past Douglas and District by the odd goal in five and Ayre United saw off the challenge of Colby.

In the Canada Life Premier League, Corinthians were in fine form as Sean Doyle’s five-goal inspired a 6-0 win over Marown, while in JCK Division Two RYCOB took a big step towards promotion with victory over Malew.Saturday, April 6Keystone Law Hospital Cup Preliminary RoundAyre 2-1 Colby DHSOB 2-1 PulroseFoxdale 4-3 Castletown Gymns 3-5 St George's AETLaxey 0-2 St Johns Michael 2-5 Douglas Royal Onchan 3-2 Douglas & District Peel 3-1 Union Mills St Marys 5-2 RushenCanada Life Premier LeagueCorinthians 6-0 MarownJCK Limited Division TwoRYCOB 3-1 MalewCanada Life Combination OneBraddan 2-4 St George'sSunday, April 7Ascot Hotel Junior Cup Preliminary RoundCorinthians 10-1 PulroseDouglas Athletic 5-3 Ramsey Douglas Royal 6-3 MalewFoxdale H-W RYCOB Laxey 8-0 Colby Marown 5-1 Gymns St Mary's 3-2 Peel AETUnion Mills 8-1 Michael Governors Athletic 2-3 St JohnsNedbank Private Wealth Women's FA Cup Semi-FinalsPeel 1-0 Douglas Royal Corinthians 9-1 Colby